Published appearances of George Darlan:
- Tim's webcomic, Snails: Brothers in Shells (canon, began writing late 2009, first episodes published January 2010) - Darlan first appears in Strip 30.
- Darlan's very own blog (canon, first published November 2011)
- The cross-continuity webcomic adventure Fort Paradox, created by me, Tim, and Tim's sister Sarah (non-canon, began writing and publishing in the second half of 2010) - Darlan first appears in Strip 6.
- Various fan stories right here on this site (mixed canon status).
Known facts about George Darlan and his species (from published episodes of Brothers in Shells, and Darlan's blog):
- George Darlan is a Namanc - the Namanc are an alien species who originate on the planet Namanc Prime, somewhere in the Milky Way.
- The Namanc have a technologically advanced society - in Brothers in Shells they are seen to be capable of interstellar travel, among other things.
- Darlan's business in life is inventing stuff. Unfortunately, these inventions (including left-handed cricket bats, and inflatable trees) are often of little or no value in the eyes of others, and some of them (e.g. the XGT-47 AutoMiner) are downright perilous, which leads other Namanc to view Darlan as a nuisance at best, if not an actual menace to society.
- ...but Darlan remains an incurable optimist, regarding himself as a great benefactor to those around him, and viewing the glass as half full even when he's just ripped a massive hole in the fabric of space-time.
- Darlan's best friend (from Darlan's point of view, that is) seems to be Harry Forsen, the beleaguered CEO of Forsen Technologies, and the recipient of many, many invention pitches from Darlan.
- Darlan has another 'friend' called Fred Nagg - a speciologist in the employ of Forsen Technologies.
- The Namanc Commerce World has a very flat, featureless landscape. Featureless apart from a few cities, and hordes of rabid cabbages accidentally unleashed by Darlan, that is. Not much is known about the landscape of Namanc Prime.
Known facts about George Darlan and his species (personally revealed to me by Tim Himself):
- Namanc in general, and therefore George Darlan in particular, are about six inches tall, pale green, and have cartilaginous endoskeletons, instead of bony ones like we have.
- Brothers in Shells begins, and Darlan first appears there, in AD 1947.
Wild speculation about George Darlan and his species (ideas of my own, not based on Tim's statements):
- Darlan has a cousin called Jeremy.
- Darlan is perpetually single, as he is usually so busy inventing perilous devices that he doesn't have time to spare for romance.
- Darlan was in some way connected with the Roswell spaceship - he was on board it at some point before it crashed in the USA.
- Darlan has no criminal record, since none of his actions were technically illegal when he committed them. But the galactic authorities have subsequently made several of them illegal, in case he ever decided to do them again.
- Whenever someone compiles a list of the most dangerous species in the galaxy, the Namanc usually come in somewhere between sixth and eleventh, lengths ahead of many more warlike races. This is almost entirely due to George Darlan.
- The Namanc are immune to alcohol, but can get sloshed on a glass of cow's milk.
Known facts about © Copyright:
- This site and its contents are © Copyright Matthew Colclough 2010 - 2011.
- George Darlan and other elements from Brothers in Shells are © Copyright Timothy Johnston 2009 - 2011.
- Darlan appears on this site by permission of Timothy Johnston. However, the images and stories reproduced here are not to be taken as canonical additions to Darlan's biography (at least, not for the time being) unless specifically labelled otherwise.
- All rights are reserved, and no content from this site may be reproduced without the respective artist's permission.